Frugality versus fungus: false economy and the mold in your cupboards

In this time with economy not at its best and with money often hard to find sometimes we have to get rather inventive with the meals we make for our families. Suddenly tuna and spaghetti seem to go very well together and peanut butter goes on everything. This inventiveness can be very good for us. It gets us out of our comfort zone and causes us to become more resourceful.

One thing we shouldn’t do however is use food that is past its expiration date. A day or two past the expiration date is no big deal but when against the realms of months or more after the expiration date then things can get rather dangerous.


Here is a story about what happened when a mother made pancakes for her son from a mixture that was well out of date.

“A student at HBHS (high school) had pancakes this week and it almost became fatal. His Mom (registered nurse) made him pancakes, dropped him off at school and headed to play tennis. She never takes her cell phone on the court but did this time ; and her son called to say he was having trouble breathing. She told him to go to the nurse immediately and proceeded to call school and alert the nurse.

The nurse called the paramedics and they were there in 3 minutes and worked on the boy all the way to the hospital. He came so close to dying. Evidently this is more common then I ever knew. Check the expiration dates on packages like pancakes and cake mixes that have yeast which over time develop spores. Apparently, the mold that forms in old mixes can be toxic! Throw away ALL OUTDATED pancake mix, brownie mixes, Bisquick, cake & cookie mixes, etc., you have in your home.

P.S. Tell this to your children, grandchildren, nephews, nieces and anyone else who keeps these types of mixes in the cupboard.

This warning especially applies to those with mold allergies!”

If you suspect that your home is developed mold and that its in danger of getting into your food you should call a professional mold remediation company to deal with it. All mold is potentially harmful, only a professional can tell you whether or not mold found in your home is harmless.